Bankerohan Encounter


Over the bustling waves of people preparing for Kadayawan, I have encountered a woman who gave me a moment to appreciate what I am having.

It was early morning, tired from buying produced for our consumption. I was with my mom who was yet to finish her compra. We started early going to the local market, so we could end early and rest for the day to do other household chores. Holidays are usually spent on cleaning and oftentimes having time with each other doing nothing.

She left me at my favorite spot, the Sikwate, and Puto Maya place. Wherein the owner of the stall has grown accustomed of my presence by now. I was sitting on the separate table by the side enjoying my food, and I am here to tell you my experience with ate girl.

Ate girl is a tourist who was with her friend, they were chatting and talking about future plans that I was able to eavesdrop. Ate girl was your typical Tagalog friend who is outgoing and vocal with her rich accent, she had shoulder-length hair striped tee and knee-high short finishing her look with a cap.

Upon eavesdropping, she pours herself a glass of water and gulp. What's next stuck with me the most... "Ang sarap talaga ng lasa ng tubig sa Davao ano." That was not a question, it was a truth. Curious, I then poured myself some water to attest and validate what I heard. 

The water indeed tastes good, but it was the normal kind I usually have. Then it kept me thinking, what does this person experience that is normal for me. What have I been neglecting to appreciate that other person sees as valuable like clean water?

The encounter was brief, yet the lesson lasts. It helped me re-evaluate my thoughts and broaden my view on different realities we are facing and put to. I didn't only learn from the experience itself, but through that other person's point of view, truth, and interests as well.

Comments

Popular Posts